Thursday, August 8, 2013

Initializing the Happiness & Healing Sequence


Why another blog? I have become underwhelmed and creatively destitute of late. Trying to think about what others want to read and tailoring every sentence to that is exhausting. To the outside world I am a glass-half-full kind of person most of the time; though, on the inside I often doubt and question the “good” in the world. These two conflicting sides of me are always at war. My brain becomes a simmering cauldron of conflicting ideas, each trying to push the others out of the way, the only thing rising to the surface a layer of opaque grease that I can’t see my way through.

That’s why I now have this second blog, The Way of the Future. The original blog, Krista M. McKinney, is still active and will remain as housing for articles, pop culture, relationship advice, etc.

SELF-IMPROVEMENT
In looking closer at myself in the last few months, I have discovered that some of the traits that were special and unique about me haven’t been nourished in the past few years. I’ve decided it is high time for me to start integrating more Happiness and Healing into my life and the lives of those around me.

DANCE LIKE NO ONE IS WATCHING
I started out this journey a couple months ago when I started taking Zumba workout classes. I used to dance when I was younger.  A lot. I loved to dance. I started taking dance at about five years old, continued on to spirit squad in elementary, show choir in junior high and then just danced whenever I could after that. Then, I stopped. I didn’t have much time alone in college and I was somewhat self-conscious. When I finally decided to start zumba I figured I could combine two needs: the need to Dance and the need to get in shape! I always leave Zumba completely worn out, but supremely JOYFUL.

PAY IT FORWARD
When I was a kid and thought about my future I always hoped to achieve the kind of stability where I felt I could then give back to others; not just because we all should; but because I must pay it forward. I still remember the people who helped me along the way throughout my life, in the really lean times. They may not ever fully know how much their help made a difference. They were the candle, throwing a tiny sliver of light on my path when all the other lights were dimming. Don’t ever undervalue the power of the kindness of strangers. Or the kindness of your family. Regardless of what you may consider as obligation, no one HAS to help you.

Doing for others doesn’t only mean helping the homeless or something, although, that is always commendable and needed. Doing for others also means finding ways to better connect with the people already in your own life. Teaching each other new things or learning together. Going to do something they like, with no complaints, and asking about it, simply because they like it and you like them.

I suppose the point of this is that I feel like I have fallen into some bad habits, being selfish and self-centered. I can give excuses for why, and I have a few; however, I think somehow I threw out some of the good with the bad, and shut myself off to some great life experiences. 

I want to embrace life. I want to be a YES person. Even if, like me, you are a little tired of hearing YOLO, the fact remains; as far as we know, You Only Live Once (YOLO). I don’t want my one life to be wasted while I talk about all the things I should have done but didn’t.

How do you want to bring on the happiness and healing?

No comments:

Post a Comment